Although they covered a lot of territory during their two-year-long crime spree (1932-1934), Dallas, Texas was Bonnie and Clyde's hometown and they returned often, usually to visit relatives. Occasionally, they also ran afoul of the law while in town. Not surprisingly, there are a number of places in or near Dallas with which they are associated and some can still be seen. Be aware: Some of the sites listed below are still being used as private residences or businesses and may not be entered without the owner's permission.
Please note:The author of this web site does not purport to be a Bonnie and Clyde expert. Any email questions about the infamous lovers are unlikely to be answered. If you want or need more information about the ill-starred couple, you would probably be better off reading one or more of thesebooks about Bonnie and Clyde
Denton Road, between Bachman Dam and "Five Point Dancehall" (exact location unknown, probably north of Northwest Highway) - Bonnie and Clyde picked up W. D. Jones here on June 9, 1933, after "losing" him for six weeks following the brief kidnapping of H. D. Darby and Sophie Stone at Ruston, Louisiana - an incident that was dramatized in the Warren Beatty-Faye Dunaway movie, with the names of the kidnapped couple, portrayed by Gene Wilder and Evans Evans, changed to Eugene Grizzard and Velma Davis.
Crown Hill Cemetery, northeast corner of Lombardy Lane and Webb Chapel Road - Bonnie, along with the remains of sister Billie's two children, was moved here from Fishtrap Cemetery, in West Dallas, in 1945. Bonnie's mother Emma Parker was also buried here, following her death in 1946. Only Bonnie has a marker. Ironically, the inscription on it reads: As the flowers are all made sweeter by the sunshine and the dew, so this old world is made brighter by the lives of folks like you.
Sparkman-Hillcrest Cemetery, on north side of Northwest Highway, west of Northpark Shopping Center and Hwy. 75-Central Expressway - Ted Hinton was a Dallas County deputy sheriff and one of the six lawmen who killed Bonnie and Clyde in a hail of gunfire in Louisiana on May 23, 1934. In his book Ambush, published two years after his death in 1977, Hinton claimed that he and the other five officers broke the law themselves in order to stop Bonnie and Clyde, by kidnapping Henry Methvin's father and forcing him to participate in the ambush. Although all writers agree that Methvin made a deal with Texas law enforcement officers in order to obtain a pardon for his son, Hinton says it was not made in advance, as commonly believed, but rather after the fact, to keep Methvin from telling the FBI what really happened. Remarkably, few (if any) modern writers have included this information in their books, continuing to perpetuate the original, and possibly inaccurate, version of the ambush, in which Methvin is portrayed as a willing participant (as also in the 1967 movie).
Around 1932, Mrs. Emma Parker, Bonnie's mother, resided in the Oak Lawn area of Dallas at an address near the present-day Dallas North Tollway. It was from this address that Bonnie departed to begin her two-year-long life of crime with Clyde Barrow. The actual address has not been included here because it is possible the house is still in use as a private residence.
Hargraves' Cafe (now Evans Grinding Co.), 3308 Swiss Circle (southeast corner of Swiss Ave. and Hall Street, adjoining Wilson Historic District, near Baylor Hospital) - Bonnie reportedly worked here from January 1928 through spring 1929, when she was in her late teens. It is said that at lunch time she stood at the back door of the cafe, which opens on to Floyd Street, taking orders from harried workers in a laundry who shouted to her from across the street. After Hargraves closed, Bonnie found work at Marco's Cafe, 702 Main Street, near the county courthouse. According to former Dallas County deputy sheriff Ted Hinton (now deceased), Bonnie also waited tables for a period of time at the Texan Cafe (in his book Ambush Hinton misidentified it as the "American Cafe"), 210 S. Houston Street, also near the courthouse. Neither Marco's or the Texan Cafe are extant.
Grove Hill Cemetery, 4118 Samuell Blvd. (just off I-30) - Several individuals associated in some way with Bonnie and Clyde are buried here: Buck Barrow's wife Blanche; Barrow Gang member Ralph Fults; 3 of Clyde's sisters (Artie, Marie, and Nell); and Bob Alcorn, one of the sheriff's deputies who ambushed the ill-fated couple on May 23, 1934.
Belo Mansion/Dallas Law Center, Ross Avenue - Former home of Col. Belo (founder of Dallas Morning News), this once fashionable Ross Avenue residence later became the mortuary where Clyde's body was laid out for public viewing prior to his funeral. During the circus-like atmosphere that prevailed, approximately 20,000 Dallasites filed past the bier to view his bullet-riddled corpse. His funeral was held here Friday, May 25, 1934. He was buried next to his brother Buck in Western Heights Cemetery in West Dallas.
Dallas County Criminal Court and Jail Bldg., at Dealey Plaza, northeast corner of Houston and Main streets (diagonally across the street from "Old Red" Courthouse) - Constructed in 1913. It was out of this building that Dallas County Sheriff "Smoot" Schmid, along with deputies Ted Hinton and Bob Alcorn operated in the early 1930s, trying to put a stop to the crime spree of Bonnie and Clyde. Various members of the Barrow Gang, including W. D. Jones and Raymond Hamilton, were incarcerated here at one time or another.
Around 1925-26, when he was a teenager, Clyde Barrow held a job for a period of time at the A. & K. Auto Top and Paint Works, located at 2604 S. Main Street, corner of Main and Lloyd, the latter a street that no longer exists. Apparently, this business was located in a two or three block long section of Main Street buildings that were demolished several years ago to make way for the Julius Schepps Freeway overpass, which now divides Downtown Dallas from the eclectic area known as "Deep Ellum."
Between 1926 and 1928, Clyde Barrow worked at the United Mirror and Glass Company, 2606 Swiss Avenue, south side of Swiss between Good (now Good-Latimer) and Cantegral, about a block west of the present-day Wilson Historic District. The address no longer exists but there is a one story building on the site. Whether the structure is of more recent construction or if only the exterior has been changed is uncertain. In either event, there is no question that the site does not appear today as it did in the late 1920s.
In 1932 Clyde Barrow robbed the Neuhoff Meat Packing Plant, which was then located on Alamo Street, immediately north of and adjoining Downtown Dallas. It is uncertain whether this building is still standing or not.
Although Bonnie Parker grew up in West Dallas - near Cement City, her widowed mother, Emma, moved to South Dallas sometime after 1927. When Bonnie's marriage to Roy Thornton began to fail about 1928, she went to live with her mother and brother Hubert or "Buster," staying until she left in 1932 to embark upon a life of crime with Clyde Barrow. For a period of time the Parker household also consisted of Bonnie's sister Billie and her husband Fred Mace. The family resided at three known addresses in this area during the late 1920s and early 1930s. These were:
1214 S. Lamar Street. There are no longer any houses on this block. NEAR THE OLD SEARS WAREHOUSE (NOW SOUTH SIDE APARTMENTS).
1406 Cockrell, near the corner of Bellview and Cockrell, west side of Cockrell between Bellview and Monroe, 1 block east of South Lamar Street. Ironically, the entire 1400 block of Cockrell is now occupied by the new Dallas Police Department HQ! NEAR THE OLD SEARS WAREHOUSE (NOW SOUTH SIDE APARTMENTS).
1606 Douglas (now Durant Street), on east side of Douglas (Durant), a one block long street that runs between Gano and McKee, about two blocks west of Old City Park, one block west of South Lamar. The entire east side of the street is now a vacant lot.
Clyde Barrow also has connections to South Dallas. For a period time in the 1920s, his sister Nell lived on Pear Street (address unknown) and he visited her there from time to time. Also, in 1925, before he met Bonnie, Clyde dated a girl named "Anne B.," a student at Forest Avenue (now James Madison) High School, which was (is) located on Forest Avenue (now Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.). Clyde hoped to marry the girl after she was graduated but the relationship came to an end after he stole a car and Anne's parents forbade her to see him anymore. Clyde also held jobs in South Dallas around this time, with Proctor and Gamble at 1226 Loomis Street and the Nu-Grape Bottling Company, 1719-23 South Ervay. Whether or not the buildings these businesses occupied are still standing is uncertain.
During the 1920s and '30s, West Dallas was known as "Little Cicero" due to its associaton with Bonnie and Clyde, the Hamilton brothers - Ray and Floyd, and scores of lesser known criminals. Never one of the more attractive parts of Dallas, it remains today a poverty-stricken area consisting of industrial buildings and many of the same modest wooden frame dwellings that were there when Bonnie and Clyde called this part of Dallas "home." Bonnie's family moved here in 1914, after her father died in Runnels County, Texas, where she was born in 1911. They lived with Bonnie's maternal grandparents, Frank and Mary Krause, in a rural area near Cement City - a neighborhood adjacent to the Trinity Portland Cement Company. Clyde's family came to West Dallas much later, in 1922. After Bonnie and Roy Thornton were married on Sept. 24, 1926, they also lived in West Dallas until they separated in 1928. At that time, Bonnie went to live with her mother, who had moved to South Dallas (and also lived for about a year in the Oak Lawn section of town).
NO PHOTO AVAILABLE
Fishtrap or Reunion Cemetery, adjoins Fish Trap Park, southwest corner of Morris and Fish Trap streets, two blocks west of Hampton Road (northwest of intersection of Hampton Road and Singleton Blvd. (formerly Eagle Ford Road) - Bonnie Parker was originally buried here on the afternoon of Saturday, May 26, 1934. Due to the carnival-like atmosphere that prevailed, her immediate family viewed the services through the windows of a funeral home limousine (while the Barrows, ironically, had front row seats next to the grave). In 1945 her remains were moved to Crown Hill Cemetery in Northwest Dallas. Her maternal grandparents, Frank and Mary Krause, are still buried here however.
NO PHOTO AVAILABLE
Star Filling Station and Barrow Residence, 1620 Eagle Ford Road (now Singleton Blvd.), northeast corner of Singleton Blvd. and Borger Street - The Henry Barrow family business and residence; doesn't look like a filling station anymore, however.
Western Heights Cemetery, 1617 Fort Worth Avenue, just north of I-30 - A huge crowd witnessed the graveside services when Clyde Barrow was buried here on Friday, May 25, 1934 and an airplane dropped a huge floral wreath (reportedly ordered by gambler Benny Binion) from the sky. Clyde was laid to rest beside his brother Marvin Ivan "Buck" Barrow, who died in July 1933, six days after a "shoot-out" with law enforcement officers in Iowa - an incident that also led to the apprehension of Buck's wife Blanche. See also EAST DALLAS above. The Barrow parents, Henry and Cumie, and another son, Elvin, are also buried in this cemetery that is rarely open to the public.
Be advised:The cemetery gate is almost always locked and there are NO TRESPASSING signs posted. Consider yourself warned.
The so-called Lillie McBride "Shoot-out" House is also located in West Dallas, not far from the Barrow's gas station. In 1933, the address was 507 County Avenue. The street name has since changed. It was here at this residence that a "shoot-out" occurred between law enforcement officers and the Barrow Gang around midnight on January 6, 1933. The officers had staked out the house, which wa owned and occupied by the sister of former Barrow Gang member Raymond Hamilton, hoping to catch another criminal. Clyde reportedly killed Tarrant County deputy sheriff Malcolm S. Davis beside the front porch. This is still a private residence, however, which is why the actual address is not included here. See also GRAPEVINE below.
Sowers Community Ambush Site, intersection of Hwy. 183 (Airport Freeway) and Esters Road - Acting on a tip from an informant (whose identity is still uncertain), Sheriff's deputies ambushed Bonnie and Clyde here on November 22, 1933 when they went to meet some family members with whom they had a rendezvous the day before at the same location. Although their car was shot up and they were both badly wounded, the pair still managed to get away. (Two of the deputies, Ted Hinton and Bob Alcorn, were also participants in the final ambush, which occurred a few months later near Gibsland, Louisiana.) At the time of the ambush, this was a rural area. It is now so built up that it doesn't look anything at all like it did in 1933.
Auto Highjacking Site following Sowers Community Ambush, Hwy. 80 (Jefferson Blvd.) near entrance to Hensley Field (old Dallas Naval Air Station - now abandoned) - Immediately following the November 22, 1933 ambush in Irving, Bonnie and Clyde drove southeast to this point, where they reportedly stopped a westbound car belonging to two Fort Worth men, and stole it, at the same time bandoning the vehicle (a 1934 model Ford Coupe) shot up by lawmen. This site doesn't look much like it did in 1933 either.
Wheeler-Murphy Monument, Dove Road at Hwy. 114 (about six miles west of "downtown" Grapevine) - On Easter Sunday, April 1, 1934, Bonnie, Clyde, and Henry Methvin parked their car on this country lane for a few hours of rest, while on their way to Dallas to visit Bonnie's mother (other reports say they came here to kill and rob former partner-in-crime Raymond Hamilton). When two curious motorcycle patrolmen - E. B. Wheeler and H. D. Murphy - stopped to investigate, it is said that Methvin and possibly also Clyde, opened fire, killing the lawmen.
Below and left are two more photos that show the monument in context. One view is looking east toward the newly-constructed Hwy. 114 overpass; the other is looking west up Dove Road.
The wording on the monument reads:"We the people of Texas, acknowledge and thank troopers Edward Bryan Wheeler and H. D. Murphy for the great sacrifice they made to keep the public safe. Troopers Wheeler and Murphy were shot to death Easter Sunday, April 1, 1934, near this site on West Dove Road by the infamous criminals Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. Wheeler and Murphy stopped their motorcycles near Parker and Barrow's car, thinking a motorist needed assistance. When they approached, they were shot. Their efforts will stand the test of time. May God bless their souls. Erected 1996."
Historic Grapevine Cemetery, near "downtown" Grapevine, on the west side of Dooley Road, about a quarter mile north of Old Hwy. 114 (now Northwest Highway or Business 114) - Interestingly enough, neither of the two motorcycle patrolmen killed in Grapevine on Easter Sunday 1934 (see above) are buried here. Instead, you will find here the grave of lawman Malcolm S. Davis, reportedly killed by Clyde Barrow on January 6, 1933 during a shoot-out in West Dallas at Lillie McBride's house on County Avenue. There are several entrances into the cemetery. To find Davis' grave, go to the main gate entrance, which has a metal arch over it spelling out the name of the graveyard. Drive forward to the end of the short gravel road. Look to your right; Davis' grave is there beside the road, in the second to last row. See also WEST DALLAS above.
Site of R. P. Henry and Sons Bank, 1 block east of Main Square - Clyde, Raymond Hamilton, and Henry Methvin reporteldy held up this bank on Tuesday, February 19, 1934, making off with $4,176, which nearly included an additional $27 in cash taken from the hand of a WPA worker who had been standing in line to make a deposit. On their way out the door, the robbers returned it to him. In all likelihood, this was the inspiration for a scene in the 1967 movie, in which Clyde (portrayed by Warren Beatty) asks a bank customer if the money he is holding in his hand is his or the bank's. When the man replies that the money is his, Clyde tells him to keep it. Although the bank building has since been demolished, the floor of the building, which was located on the southwest corner of Henry Street and East Main is still extant.