Return to Landmarks of Dallas History or choose another landmark:
McKinney Avenue Streetcars
Dallas' very first streetcars, which began operating in 1872, were drawn by mules and horses. Between 1887 and 1895 some were powered by steam. Cable cars were also tried but quickly abandoned as impractical. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries electric streetcars, similiar to the one seen here, became the most commonly seen on the city's streets. The first ones, owned by the Dallas Consolidated Street Railway, began operating in 1889.
Today a small fleet of renovated early 20th century streetcars, none of which are original to Dallas, connects McKinney Avenue's shops and restaurants with the Downtown Dallas Arts District.
Here's a short online video about the streetcars.
This website copyright © 2006-2011 (except where noted) by Steven Butler, Ph.D. All rights reserved.