This Texas Historical Commission marker, affixed in 1965 to the south side concrete pergola, commemorates Dallas' first ferry and bridge, which were operated near this site. The marker reads as follows:
FIRST FERRY AND BRIDGE
(about 300 feet west)
First ferry on the Trinity River at Dallas was started here, 1842, by John Neely Bryan(1810-1877), the founder of Dallas. Alexander Cockrell (1820-1858), early builder and developer, replaced ferry with wooden toll bridge, 1854. This crossing played an important part in the development of the city.
A small bronze plaque, attesting to the construction of the pergola by the WPA (Work Projects Administration) in 1940 can be seen immediately above the historical marker.