This statue of a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worker was erected in April 2004 on a grassy slope beside the Sunset Inn. The statue, formally dedicated on April 17, 2004, honors the enrollees of CCC Company 2896 who worked on projects at White Rock Lake Park between 1935 and 1942. Their camp was located on the east side of nearby Winfrey Point, which, like Sunset Inn, was built by the CCC. To learn more about the CCC at White Rock Lake Park, please visit Park History.
Suggested by author Kathy Mays Smith, the statue was a project of For The Love Of The Lake (FTLOTL), which found sponsors and held a benefit concert in Fall 2003 to raise funds for both the statue and its base. The latter was designed by the Dallas Park Department's own Willis Winters and constructed by stone mason Michael Recker.
At the dedication ceremony, several members of Company 2896 and other CCC veterans were among the honored guests.