Return to Home Page

Park History

Return to Special Features

Gone, but not forgotten...

There are several White Rock features that no longer exist except in people's memories. Some, like the so-called "Pea Patch" and the beloved Bonnie Barge are legendary. Others are lesser known. Learn all about them here.

Pea Patch

The Pea Patch
The "Pea Patch" was a city-run prison farm where non-violent offenders could work off their fines at 50 cents per day.
Read more...

The Bonnie Barge

The Bonnie Barge
In 1946 speedboat concessionaire Johnny Williams launched the Bonnie Barge, named for his wife.
Read more...

CCC and POW Camp

Camp White Rock
In 1935 the Civilian Conservation Corps opened a camp at White Rock Lake Park. During and after WWII it housed Army Air Corp inductees, German P.O.W.s, and SMU students.
Read more...

Spillway Catwalk

Spillway Catwalk
For years it was possible to walk from Garland Road all the way to the dam.
Read more...

Fishing Shacks

Fishing Shacks
Until the end of WWII, hundreds of Dallasites had private use of lakefront property for pennies a day.
Read more...

Texas and Pacific Employees' Clubhouse

T&P Clubhouse
Built in 1925, this private facility gave its name to the hill on which it sat.
Read more...

Dance Pavilion

Dance Pavilion
During the summer of 1934 this popular facility featured an all-girl band.
Read more...

White Rock Beach

White Rock Beach
For twenty-two years Dallasites flocked to the shores of White Rock Lake to enjoy a swim.
Read more...

Speedboats

Powerboat Races
It's hard to believe that powerboats once shared the lake with the sailing crowd.
Read more...

Dixon Bay Foot Bridge

Dixon Bay Foot Bridge
At one time, it was possible to walk across this bridge from the Sunset Inn to Dreyfuss Point.
Read more...

This website copyright © 1996-2011 (except where noted) by Steven Butler, Ph.D. All rights reserved.